Hello Bookish People & Parents !!
I received an eARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review !! If you’re too lazy to read the whole review (although it’s short), scroll down to the end for a list of reasons you should read this book and my final rating.
Author: James Breakwell
Goodreads Rating : 3.87
Available in stores: October 2017
Publisher: BenBella Books
Synopsis (Goodreads) :
It’s not easy being a parent these days. There are bills to pay. Kids to feed. And hordes of undead monsters to keep at bay.
There are plenty of guides out there about how to survive the zombie apocalypse. All of them assume readers are young, fit, and unencumbered by children. In that scenario, the only living humans left will be smug, outdoorsy Millennials. That’s hell on earth, even without the zombies.
Only Dead on the Inside is the answer for the rest of us.
Written by professional comedy writer and amateur father-of-four James Breakwell (@XplodingUnicorn), Only Dead on the Inside blends traditional parenting advice with zombie survival tips, bringing together two totally unrelated genres in a book no one asked for but everyone needs.
This step-by-step manual teaches you how to raise happy, healthy children in a world overrun by the undead. Motivated moms and dads want it all, and that won’t change at the end of the world. There’s no reason you can’t be a zombie killing machine AND parent of the year, but you have to work for it.
If you want to make sure your family is apocalypse-ready, Only Dead on the Inside is your best–and only–chance at survival. No pressure, but if you don’t read this book, your children will die.
About the author :
James Breakwell is a professional comedy writer and amateur father of four adorable girls, ages 7 and under. He is best known for his family humour twitter account @XplodingUnicorn which has more than 700,000 followers. You can also find him and his adorable daughters on instagram.
Okay so why would I, a 22-year-old who is NOT a parent, request for an ARC of a book that clearly states the words “Parenting guide” on the cover ? Here’s the answer –
- I’ve followed the author, James Breakwell, on twitter (@XplodingUnicorn) for a long time now (even before I was on twitter, okay this might be creepy) and his tweets are HILARIOUS. So obviously when I heard he’s writing a book, I had to read it.
- The book has the words “parenting” AND “zombies” on the cover, in the same sentence !!!
- I may not be a parent but I’ve seen and heard enough of parents to know it’s not an easy job. In fact even baby-sitting isn’t easy (personal experience), so parenting’s a whole other level.
- Zombies don’t make appointments. What if I become a parent some day and they arrive the next day ? Always good to be prepared well ahead.
This book definitely delivers on what it promises to do on the cover. Complete with charts, tables, graphs and comic strips, this is the ultimate (and humorous) guide to survival and child protection for parents, in the event of a zombie apocalypse. From shopping tips (well, looting.) to fighting off zombies (or hiding or running, if that’s still an option), this book has got you covered.
Despite not being a parent, but having sufficient exposure to those adorable, brutally honest creatures called kids, this book made me laugh quite a lot. This one’s definitely worth reading.
If you’re a friend of mine and are expecting a child, be sure of receiving this book as a gift from me because –
- I want you to survive the zombie apocalypse (you can also use the hard-copy of this book to fight off a zombie, perhaps)
- In your hectic life as a parent, you could do with a few laughs.
So, here are the Reasons you should read this book –
- You’re a parent
- You want to survive the zombie apocalypse and keep your kids safe
- You’re having a tough day “parenting” and you need a laugh
- It’s funny
- It’s an entertaining book, even if you’re not a parent
- There’s a Harry Potter reference (for those who buy anything that has the words Harry Potter on it)
- You’ve read Breakwell’s tweets and want to read the book he has written
- You love minivans.
MY FINAL RATING – 😄😂😆😆😍
Those who want to read an excerpt of the book or/and pre-order the book, you can find both information here.
That’s all for now bookworms and parents !! Have a great weekend and hopefully, stay zombie-free.